Monday, April 22, 2013

Excelsior Jones, Ashfield


Last Saturday was such a miserable morning for me. I was given a new shift at work which is definitely something good, but NOT if it was around 13C degrees out and the heater in the pool is broken. It felt like the longest 4 hours of my life. Yes, seriously. After that, I got warm and cozy, then dined at Excelsior Jones. Excelsior Jones definitely made up for my sad sad morning. 

Someone seems to be shocked.
That place was packed and we had a short wait before we got a table. This is considering we rocked up at 2pm, imagine it during peak hour! The decor was really simple, minimalistic, and straight forward. There was an old, diner-y feel to the place. I thought it was great. 


Soy Cap- $4
Started my meal with a soy cappuccino- something that hasn't been on my regular list as of late. I've been leaning towards shorter drinks. It's not bad though. 

Caramel Milkshake- $6
My lovely friend Viv had the caramel milkshake which was quite tasty, it had the right amount of sweetness. But it lacked that thickness that milkshakes usually have. 

Eggs Benedict with Black Forest Gypsy Ham,
Hollandaise, and Celery Salt- $14

The eggs benedict here is something you should be excited and happy about. There are thin shavings of black forest ham which are delectable. I have issues with thick chunky slices of ham in my eggs benedict. On top of the ham, lays 2 perfectly poached eggs. Check out the ooze factor on that. Hands down, this has to be one of the best ones I've had lately. Better give 'em a GO! 

Cheeseburger with Grass Fed Angus Beef,
Gruyere, Tomato Relish, and Aioli- $16
The cheeseburger was excellent too! It's very very simple. The patty packs nothing more than a heavy beefy flavour. We ordered it well-done and it was cooked well. It wasn't overcooked and dry, the patty still had  it's succulent juices. Also, it was served on a brioche bun. 

These mojo-chip-fries sort of thing came with the cheeseburger. They were heaps good. Crunchy all over with just the right ratio of chunky potato. We wanted to order an extra serving of these, but apparently they don't sell this on the side all by itself. Sigh. That's the only disappointment here really. 


CHEERS to more great lunches like these!

chloe

Excelsior Jones
139A Queen St,
Ashfield, Sydney

9799 3240

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday: 7:30am – 4pm
Saturday & Sunday: 8am – 4pm
Kitchen closes at 3pm!





No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Like These Similar Posts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...